In order to apply for the first time issuance of a North Carolina Learner's Permit or Driver's License you will need to gather documents from the following categories:

1. Proof of Residency:

Proof of residency includes providing your name and current address. You will need one document from this category. A few examples of documents you can use to prove your residency are:

  • Any document issued by the State of North Carolina or any of its political subdivisions (county, city, tax district, etc.) or by the federal government;
  • An apartment lease, housing contract, or mortgage statement;
  • A utility bill (ie. power bill, cable bill, water bill, etc.);
  • Matricula Consular issued by the Mexican consulate.

2. Proof of Age & Identity:

Proof of age & identity includes providing your full name, social security number, and date of birth. You will need a total of two documents from this category, one of which must show your date of birth. You must provide proof of your social security number. If you have just recently moved to North Carolina and are applying for your original North Carolina driver's license your valid, unexpired "out-of-state" driver's license with photo counts as one form of identification.

You may not use two documents from the same section. For instance, using a report card and school transcript would not qualify as two forms of identification because they both come from the "School Records" section.

Acceptable Proof of Identity Documents:
  1. Valid, unexpired Driver License or State-Issued Identification Card from another state, Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, or a Canadian province.
  2. Certified or original birth certificate.
  3. Original Social Security card (may not be laminated)
  4. Official North Carolina School Registration records signed by a school official and Diplomas issued by North Carolina schools, including secondary schools, community colleges, colleges and universities
  5. Unexpired U.S. Military Identification, including DD-2, DD-214, Common Access Card, and U.S. Military Dependents Card
  6. Valid, unexpired Passport from any nation
  7. Certified marriage certificate from a Register of Deeds or appropriate government agency in the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  8. Limited Driving Privilege issued by North Carolina.
  9. Valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration Services (BIS) formerly known as Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS)
  10. Court documents from U.S. jurisdiction, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
  11. U.S. Veterans Universal Access Card.